Thank you for visiting Louisville Metro Office of Resilience and Community Services to schedule an appointment for the 2022 Crisis Component of LIHEAP (the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program). You can now also apply for the new LIHWAP program for water and wastewater assistance with one single appointment. LIHWAP stands for Low Income Household Water Assistant Program. You can also apply for only LIHEAP, or only LIHWAP, with this appointment system.
Applicants for both LIHEAP and LIHWAP must be Jefferson County residents with a household income at or below 150 percent of the federal poverty guidelines, and must meet criteria described below.
In order to process applications most efficiently, we will continue to utilize secure drop boxes in place of in-person appointments. Therefore, applicants will be required to drop off all required documentations in a secured drop box at the LIHWAP office selected using this appointment system.
LIHEAP Crisis will operate from January 10 through March 31, 2022, or until funding is depleted, whichever comes first.
The LIHEAP Crisis program serves applicants who have received a brown bill, disconnection notice from their utility service provider, or an eviction notice if their utilities are included in the rent. Once again this year, residents who have received a current LG&E bill with a Past Due Balance may be eligible to apply.
And for the LIHWAP program, there are two components: The Crisis and Subsidy components.
Income eligible applications with proof of arrearage, payment plan, or disconnect notice for water and/or wastewater bill may apply for the Crisis component. And if your Water bill is included in your rent, please listen closely to the list of documentations required. And all Income eligible residents may apply for the Subsidy component regardless of the status of their utility bill. Applicants will be assessed for both of these components.
LIHWAP will operate from now through June 1, 2022 or until funds are depleted.
On the day of your appointment, drop off your application and documentation in a drop box at the site you select anytime between 9 a.m. to noon, or 1 – 4 p.m. You WILL NOT NEED to wait at the site but within 72 hours a staff member will contact you by phone to let you know the status of your application. If you are unable to drop off your documentation on the day of your appointment, you will have to reschedule your appointment.
Gather the required documentation – which is listed in more detail in this recording – and place in an envelope in the drop box. Copies of the required documentation is preferred.
To continue, you will need paper and pen, your LG&E number if you are an LG&E customer, the last four numbers of your social security number, and date of birth ready to schedule an appointment.
Eligibility for all programs is subject to program calendars, fund availability, appointment availability, verifiable household income and family size. Clients are served on a first-come, first-served basis.
Our staff would also like to remind you about many easy tips that can save money by saving energy like sealing leaks and switching to a smart thermostat. Check out louisivlleky.gov/LIHEAP for more info.
For the LIHEAP program, please read carefully to the required documentation to drop off on your scheduled appointment date utilizing a secure drop box in front of the location you select.
- LIHEAP Application and Family Profile Form which can be downloaded at www.louisvilleky.gov/LIHEAP or found at the LIHEAP office Drop boxes.
- Social Security card(s) or official documentation with Social Security numbers for everyone living in the household (or Permanence Residence/Green Card).
- Current bill with a past due balance Or a brown, disconnect notice from LG&E; or an eviction notice if heating expenses are included in the rent. If heat is included in rent, clients must also provide a copy of the lease in addition to the eviction notice. If you participate in the Pre-Pay Electric Program, please present the statement from the utility company and include the account number and name on the account for all heating fuel sources and electric.
- Proof of all household income from the previous month or proof of no income. Proof of income for the previous month for anyone over the age of 18. Examples of income are:
- Check stubs for the calendar month prior to your appointment date. (These check stubs MUST show pay dates and gross income for the calendar month previous to your appointment date. If you did not receive the maximum number of checks during a month, you will need to get a verification letter from your employer stating you did not receive the maximum number.
- OR, Current SSI/Social Security Award letter or Current Food Stamp Award letter
- OR, Unemployment Check Stubs
- Examples of items which cannot be accepted are previous LIHEAP applications, bank statements, copies of benefit checks, and 1099 tax forms. We cannot accept K-TAP letters or Medical Coverage Letters as proof of other income.
- All individuals 18 or over in the household with no income -- and no way to document that status such as a Food Stamp Award letter -- must have a Proof of No Income Form completed prior to applying for benefits. These forms are available at the LIHEAP Drop Box locations or online at www.louisvilleky.gov/LIHEAP.
If applying for the LIHWAP water assistance the same time with LIHEAP, include the documentations above as well as:
- The Louisville Water application and Family Profile Form found at Drop Box locations or online at www.louisvilleky.gov/LIHEAP.
- Most current Louisville Water Company bill and/or MSD bill.
- Proof of arrearage, payment plan, or disconnect notice for water and/or wastewater bill.
- Tenants whose water and wastewater bills are included in their rental payments are eligible to receive benefits. To be eligible the tenants must provide verification that they pay all or a portion (i.e. HUD Section 8 housing) of the water and/or wastewater bills. The organization responsible for payment to the utility provider must provide verification that a portion of the rent includes water and/or wastewater. A payment will be made on behalf of the household to the organization responsible for payment if the water and/or wastewater account information can be provided.